To determine the Acid value of given oil.
Acid value is the number of mg of KOH required to neutralise the FFA present in 1g of the sample
Neutral alcohol, 1% phenolphthalein,Standardised .1N NaOH
- Weigh accurately about 10 gm of oil into a 100ml conical flask.
- Add 50 cc of neutral alcohol & heat on a steam bath till the oil dissolves.
- Cool for a while,add 4 drops of phenolphthalein.
- With constant shaking titrate the contents in the flask against 0.1N NaOH solution from the burette till a pink color persists.
- FFA% & Acid value is calculated from the above procedure.